This week hunker down with this beautifully comforting soup from one of our favourite:
Spicy Any Veggie Soup From Oh She Glows
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) water
- 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can light coconut milk
- 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 cups (190 g) broccoli florets (1 1/2-inch florets)
- 2 cups (270 g) peeled, seeded, and chopped butternut squash (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups (195 g) chopped peeled carrots (1/2-inch thick coins)
- 1 1/2 cups (160 g) frozen cut green beans
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (170 g) uncooked red lentils
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) apple cider vinegar, or to taste
- In a large pot, add the oil, water, coconut milk, diced tomatoes (with juices), broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, frozen green beans, red pepper flakes, salt (starting with 3/4 teaspoon), garlic powder, and red lentils. Stir to combine.
- Set the heat to high, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and bring the mixture to a low boil. Once it comes to a boil, remove the lid and reduce the heat to medium. Stir again, scraping off any lentils stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Simmer, covered, over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and the veggies are just fork tender. The veggies should have a touch of resistance when pierced with a fork. The cook time will vary based on the type of veggies you use.
- After cooking, remove the lid and stir in the apple cider vinegar, starting with one tablespoon and adding from there, to taste (we love 2 tablespoons for a lot of brightness). Sometimes, there may be a slight separation in the soup after adding the vinegar, depending on the brand of coconut milk used. This is nothing to worry about. Season with more salt, if desired.
You can also add a bit more apple cider vinegar to your individual serving for extra tanginess in this soup. Serve and enjoy. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 to 5 days.
For more recipes like this head the blog: Oh She Glows or purchase the recipe books here