100g Plain flour
300 ml Milk
1 tbsp Sunflower or vegetable oil
- Put 100g plain flour, 2 large eggs, 300 ml milk, 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil and a pinch of salt into a bowl or large jug, then whisk to a smooth batter.
- Set aside for 30 mins to rest if you have time, or start cooking straight away.
- Set a medium frying pan or crepe pan over a medium heat and carefully wipe it with some oiled kitchen paper.
- When hot, cook your pancakes for 1 min on each side until golden, keeping them warm in low oven as you go.
- Serve with either lemon wedges and caster sugar or nutella and bananas, or your favourite filling.
*** Once cold, you can layer the pancakes between baking parchment then wrap in cling film and freeze for up to 2 months. ***
Wholemeal Vegan Pancakes
300g Wholemeal flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tbsp Vanilla extract
1tbsp Sugar (any kind)
400 ml Plant-based milk (such as oat, almond or soya)
1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
To serve add banana slices, maple syrup and nut butter
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt in a bowl using a balloon whisk until mixed. Slowly pour in the milk until you get a smooth, thick batter.
- Heat a little of the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat, and add 1-2 tbsp batter into the pan at a time to make small, round pancakes. You will need to do this in batches of two – three at a time.
- Cook for 3-4 mins until the edges are set, and bubbles are appearing on the surface. Flip the pancakes over and cook for another 2-3 mins until golden on both side and cooked through. Keep warm in a low oven while you cook the remaining pancakes.
- Serve stacked with lots of toppings of your choice, or serve with bowls of toppings for everyone to help themselves.
Fluffy American Pancakes
200g Self raising flour
1 ½ tsp Baking powder
1 tbsp Golden caster sugar
3 Large eggs
25g Melted butter, plus extra for cooking
200 ml Milk
Vegetable oil, for cooking
- Mix the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and a pinch of salt together in a large bowl.
- Create a well in the centre with the back of your spoon then add the eggs, melted butter and milk. Whisk together either with a balloon whisk or electric hand beater until smooth then pour into a jug.
- Heat a small knob of butter and 1 tsp of oil in large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. When the butter looks frothy pour in rounds of the batter, approximately 8 cm wide.
- Make sure you don’t put the pancakes too close together as they will spread during cooking. Cook the pancakes on their first side for about 1-2mins or until lots of tiny bubbles start to appear and pop on the surface. Flip the pancakes over and cook for a further minute on the other side. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- Serve the pancakes stacked up on a plate with a drizzle of maple syrup and any of your chosen toppings.